Sprouts. Sausage. Squash . . . S A L A D.
Seriously. It's Fall, and all I want to do is wrap myself up in a cozy blankets, and curl up in my kitchen with a bounty of root vegetables and flavors from the earth . There's just something about scent of delicatas and mushroom sausages roasting in the oven that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...And eating them, well, that just brings the experience to a whole other level... "ground level", that is.
Delicata Squash Salad with Sausage
Here's what you'll need:
- delicata squash
- Bilinski's mushroom + chicken sausage
- almond ricotta (I use Kite Hill Foods)
- organic mixed greens
- organic micro greens
- avocado oil
- a squeeze of lemon
- salt and pepper
Here's what you do:
- Grab a baking sheet or roasting pan, and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Rinse off your delicata, cut length-wise and scoop out the seeds. Slice into half moons or cubes, and season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of avocado oil.
- Roast the squash for 30 minutes, then flip and place back in the oven for an additional 10-15. Add your sausages and roast along with the squash.
- Optional: Once the squash is tender, turn on the broiler for 4-5 minutes... the edges will get crispy, and the sausages will too.
- Add all of your greens to a bowl and lightly toss them with lemon, another drizzle of avocado oil. Add the squash, sausage, a little extra S&P, and a few crumbles of ricotta. A splash of balsamic or sherry would be delicious to finish this off.